Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Journal 4: micro-blogging


I chose the discussion, Let’s Get Networked on Twitter Too!, to follow mainly because I’ve never heard of microblogging or Twitter and I want to laugh every time I say the name!

Micro-blogging is a form of blogging where users write brief updates, up to 140 words, to publish. This can be done by text, im, email, MP3 or online.
Twitter is a free micro-blogging/ social-networking site. Users add updates or “tweets” which are received by other members who have subscribed to them.

The member who started the discussion says that Twitter is useful for networking with other educations, sharing ideas, and engaging students. All of the Web 2.0 members responding to this discussion seemed equally excited about using Twitter and ready to network with each other. I learned that there are apparently some “VERY” entertaining videos on Twitter from someone named Sage Lewis and that members seem to think it’s a pretty great online resource, both professionally and socially. After looking at the Twitter site and what classroom 2.0 members had to say mico-blogging does seem like an interesting online tool to use. It enables teachers to communicate and collaborate with educators all over the world. What I like about it is that with posts no longer than 140 words you can really get to the point with “quick and frequent answers”. The Twitter site has some cute graphics too!

2 comments:

aatwood said...

Sarah,

Micro-blogging seems really neat. I think that keeping the blogs down to 140 words is a fantastic idea because you have to really sit down and think about what your going to say, so you do self editing. I know when I type in my blog at home I always have to go back and think about what I wrote, and I always ask myself "did that make sense?" and "did I spell that word right?" I'm a bad speller...what can I say...spell check is my best friend.

Ms. Wood said...

I have to agree. Collaboration is key to effective education because as teachers we do not have time to reinvent the wheel. I am drawn to the word limit as well. It would seem that these "microblogs" would be more succinct and make it easier to locate relevant information.