Thursday, July 31, 2008

Journal 6

McHugh, J (2005). Synching up with the ikid: connecting to the twenty-first-century student. Edutopia, Retrieved July 31, 2008, from http://www.edutopia.org/ikid-digital-learner

This article helped me realize that my students knowledge about technology and my own will be vastly different. Children today have grown up using technology more than I have. They are being described as “digital learners” meaning that electronics and digital tools speak their language. I was actually really surprised to read that the average kid is using tech tools (computers, cell phones, gaming devices) 6 hours a day! We are just barley staying ahead of the curve here. I’m not sure if I’m ready to allow students to use their iPhones for assignments like the article suggests, but it really did help open my eyes to the fact that technology is being integrated into education whether we are ready for it or not. As educators we really need to keep on it so we may offer our students new and innovative ways to learn and communicate that will keep them engaged in the classroom.

How can educators continue to engage the “media generation”?
By integrating as much technology in to the classroom as possible and continuing their own tech knowledge/education. Creating class websites, student blogs and letting them use a variety of media tools in the classroom.

Do students really learn differently due to their technology exposure?
I’d say yes. It’s how they are used to receiving most of their information. They have grown up with the instant gratification of the Internet. I myself use Google to look up most things now too!

No comments: